- 2 package(s) (8 ounces each) dried Calimyrna figs
- 1 3/4 cup(s) milk
- 1 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup(s) (1 stick) margarine or butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 1/2 cup(s) (3 to 4 slices white bread) fresh bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon(s) grated orange peel
- Marzipan fruit and greens, for garnish
Brandied Hard Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cup(s) confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) (1 stick) margarine or butter, softened
- 2 tablespoon(s) brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- Figgy Pudding: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 1/2-quart metal steamed-pudding mold or fluted tube pan.
- With kitchen shears, cut stems from figs; cut figs into small pieces. In 2-quart saucepan over medium-low heat, cook figs and milk, covered, 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally (mixture may look curdled). Be careful not to let mixture boil.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
- In large bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat eggs 1 minute. Reduce speed to low; add margarine or butter, bread crumbs, orange peel, and warm fig mixture. Gradually add flour mixture; beat until just blended.
- Spoon fig mixture into mold, smoothing top. Cover with sheet of greased foil, greased-side down. (If your mold has a lid, grease the inside and do not use foil.) Place the mold in a deep roasting pan and place on oven rack. Pour hot tap water into roasting pan to come 2 inches up side of mold.
- Bake pudding 2 hours or until firm and it pulls away from side of mold. Remove pudding from water bath; remove foil and cool on wire rack 10 minutes. Invert onto serving plate; remove mold. Garnish with marzipan fruit and greens. Serve warm.
- Brandied Hard Sauce: In small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat confectioners’ sugar, margarine or butter, brandy, and vanilla extract until creamy. Refrigerate if not serving right away. Makes about 1 cup.Nutrition information given is for one serving pudding without Hard Sauce.